Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Square yoke vest




I just love me some variegated yarn in garter stitch! I am very proud of myself. I channelled EZ and I knit a bit dangerously, without a pattern or instruction, just by how it seemed it could work. Originally, I was going to knit the front and back separately back and forth as I normally do for this sort of garment. But, this yarn had such nice long runs, that I changed my mind. I wanted a square yoke like I've seen on "Milo", except I believe I am knitting in the other other direction ( from the bottom). And I thought about how I could do so. Making a mitered corner ( sl1 k2tog, psso on top of one another every other row) makes a right angle, right? and four right angles make a rectangle, right? I took a deep breath and channelled EZ, and I charged ahead, knitting without tears or fear.

After binding off for the armholes, I was left with 40 stitches for the front and 40 for the back. I cast on 40 stitches at each armhole to make the "straps" going up the side. And joined each to the rest of the work in the round as I went, careful not to twist them. Then did the decrease at the corners every other round and viola! A square yoke. I wasn't entirely sure it had worked until I bound off, and it would have been easier with a second needle to make the goemetry being forced on one circle needle a little less cumbersome, but I managed, and it is exactly what I wanted.

For anyone interested the yarn is classic elite, liberty wool. It is a very soft and light yarn, but to my hand lacks some of the elasticity of other similar weight yarns. All in all an okay yarn, but nothing I'm ecstatic about. But I like the variegated yarn which coordinates with the base. That is nice.

Until next week, may all your crafting be well!











- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: