Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Creating

Saturday afternoon. he with his duplo blocks making "a really big space ship" . Me with my needles making a really big vest thing.



During the week I had a sick baby at my side. I took advantage of his lack of mobility and sewed for the first time in months. While it was sad that the baby wasn't crawling around very much, the first time we have seen his disease affect him in a real noticeable way, the sewing helped me keep my mind occupied with something other than worry, something positive. After many 15 minute interludes of sewing, I was able to finish a pair of quick change trousers, a pair that has been in the planning for at least six months. Of course we wore them all weekend!




Over the weekend I was able to cut out for another pair. And when I declared at 4:00 on Sunday that I was going to retire into my sewing " studio" to work for one hour, guess what happened? My older one followed me into the living room, and said he wanted to learn. He has had a heavy interest in the mysterious sewing machine for awhile. So I suggested we make a tote bag for him to take to school. He picked out the fabric. He ironed it. I cut it. He picked the thread. We went over the sewing machine basics. He pushed down the pedal ( with great glee) while a guided the first few seams through. He is too short to both reach the pedal and steer, which is just as we'll, because I don't want his fingers getting crushed by the needle. So he helped sew the basic bag, and I made straps, and am in the process of hand sewing them onto the bag. He wants it done by tomorrow, but that is not going to happen.




crafting on with Frontier dreams
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Traci Sumner said...

You are braver than I - even if it was only for straight seams and pushing the pedal. My 10-year-old wants to learn to sew, but she has no awareness of her space that I'm worried about her. My 6-year-old could probably handle straight lines.