Monday, February 20, 2012

Pants!

What is that famous Elizabeth Zimmerman quote "Knit on through all crisis?" Well we are in the middle of the typical baby sleep crisis and I suppose I will craft on with perseverance. You know, to ground me, make me feel like if nothing else is working at least I'm making something.

First up, I made my first pair of pants ever. They are the Quick Change Trouser from Anna Maria Horner's book "Handmade Beginnings". It is an awesome and easy and adorable pattern, the first non rectangle I've attempted in a long, long time.









I think I will be making more of these in the future.I made them in the 12 month size. Yogurt is very long, and this gives us a little room for growth. I cut the elastic to about 19 inches, and sewed it shut at about 18. The fabric is a red cotton I bought at Christmas two years ago, and the green Flannel print which reminds me of frog eggs, both from Joanne's. So cute and so functional. Now I need to go fabric shopping for more.

Sewing is so different from knitting. It requires longer blocks of time and more involved set up. One of the things that has hampered me of late is no set place. I am now firmly set up in the back corner of the living room. It is nice and sunny and works. I even got away with sewing at night even though this room is directly under the baby's.

I also decided to cast-on for another baby surprise jacket. This one is for a cousin's baby who is having a shower in a month. It is the thing I go to when a have a few minutes. Knitting is awesome that way. It can just lie around and wait for you. Especially when the pattern is garter stitch with relatively consistent decreases and increase, and forgiving when it comes to stitch count.

As I've alluded we are having a time getting Yogurt on a sleep schedule. He has been waking up every hour after 12:00. Straight on til morning. If we are lucky he will sleep two hours straight. This has us, well me, very out of wack. But we will persevere and see if we can teach this kid how to get himself back to sleep on his own. It is hard though. I can be extremely prone to angry flares when I am tired like this, and I find myself yelling at Pizza more then I would like. This is my biggest work in progress, trying not to get so angry, but it is hard when you are tired. Persevere and knit on, indeed.



As always crafting on Tuesdays with others:

Frontier Dreams

4 comments:

karen said...

what adorable little pants! I find that I knit more than I sew too for exactly your reason, its just so easy to pick up and put down. Good luck with the sleep training

Happy Whimsical Hearts said...

Super cute pants! I hope a sleep schedule is found soon - makes such an amazing difference! My little one has a cold at the moment, so back to up lots and lots of times in the night ~ sooo tiring.

Unknown said...

Love, love, love those pants! I made a few for the kids for Christmas. They're our favourite pants!

Sorry to hear about the lack of sleep. We're there too...except the baby sleeps fine...its the older two that don't!

Michelle, Queen Behind the Lens! said...

Aw, hang in there. Just when you think this stage will last forever, he will move on to something else. Knit on, indeed. :)