Saturday, January 09, 2010

Change of Plans





(sometimes I wish I could hide in a closet)



I just came back from my pre-scan, and found out they need to split up my dose over 8 months, because there is just too much tissue left from the surgery. It wouldn't be safe to do it in one shot.



This means the first dose is less radiation and is done outpatient, next week. Meaning I'm staying in a hotel for two extra days. I won't be in isolation, but I am supposed to keep a low profile next week. I haven't decided whether I'm coming in to work or what I'm going to do.



The upside is that I can keep my knitting. Although I might keep it in a box in my basement for 6 months to cool off. I will probably be more comfortable in a hotel than the hospital, but I will be on my own.



The bad news is in 8 months I get to repeat this whole damn process. I think with a little more radioactivity and a hospital stay this time. 8 extra months to pine for another child, and wonder what ‘s it going to be next time to put off my plans for another year or more. (Can we say still too much remnant left?)



I don't mean to be so flippant about all this. I know this is cancer. I know for safety reasons, they don't have a choice about this. They can't risk frying my bone marrow. I know from reading other peoples blogs, there are people out there, some of whom are younger than me, who are facing a much tougher fight from a similar type of cancer. But I just wanted to be done so I could move on.



My radioactive knitting challenge is "Swallowtail shawl", knit is some yarn that I got from Elann for an entirely different project. I figure being away from my 2 year-old for a week is a good time to knit me some lace, which requires more concentration, and is more fragile than most of what I do. It's a small shawl so I might be able to finish it in a week too. Or I may be simply underestimating it.



Uh…hmmm..So can we start the new year in September 2010?

No comments: